Sunday

Lacey's End of Day 7 Journal - 2011


February 20, 2011                        TMSC, Kenya - Day 7 – Sunday

I can’t believe that the last day of our ‘A Dollar A Day Challenge’ is already here. In some ways it feels like this week has flown by but in others is feels like it has been the longest week of my life.

I woke up pretty early this morning (before the sun) to a crinkling sound on the floor. It sounded like someone was crinkling a Nakumatt bag. Thinking Amanda was stirring around, I said, ‘Amanda is that you?’…When she sleepily responded, ‘No…it’s not you?’ we knew we had a problem! There was something in our room and we had NO WAY of knowing what it was! Our lanterns were on the floor and we had NO idea where the matches were! Luckily, we were in our mosquito nets. Then we heard what sounded like purring from the other side of the room. We came to the conclusion that the purring was our snoring rooster on the other side of the mud wall. But still we have no idea who our mystery visitor in the Nakumatt bag was :/ I’m not sure that I really want to find out!

Rewind- It was hard for us to fall asleep last night so we decided to sing! We’ve been without music all week and we both miss it a lot. We started out just goofing around and then it turned into us sitting up in our beds praising God. We had a full on worship service under our mosquito nets! Bwana Asifiwe! I have such a sweet friend in Amanda and I will forever be thankful for her!

Fast Forward- Natasha woke us up at about 9 o’clock this morning. We did our video blog just in time to have some tea and head to Sunday school. The kids sang loud and so beautifully this morning that it made my heart smile. They are such a blessing to me and I love each of them dearly. This morning’s message was about how God is our Shepherd and our Protector. Praise God for that! Amanda and I had a special offering this morning. Our tithe for this week was 56ksh. That’s 10% of our daily income. We also gave an extra 6ks each as our love offering. Our regular tithe belongs to God…we kept it all week but knew that it wasn’t ours to spend. That extra 6ksh was a love offering to God. It could have bought us another mango, but we chose to give it back to Him. It was amazing to give every last cent that we had. Thank you Father for being our Provider!

Since today is the Sabbath, we chose to rest today. We wanted to rest and enjoy all of God’s creation today. We journaled some and just enjoyed each other’s company. We were invited to a surprise dinner at Rose’s house (the guest house)! In Kenyan culture it’s considered rude to turn down an offer like this, so we graciously accepted! We weren’t going to have our first meal until tomorrow (Monday) morning, but that has changed! This afternoon we helped prepare the meal. As I peeled vegetables and Amanda rolled out chapati, my hunger overwhelmed me. I was so hungry at this point that I would eat anything that was put in front of me! About an hour later the meal was served. Rose prayed for us and it melted my heart. As she prayed, she thanked God for us and for what we are doing – she gets it. I’m so thankful that what we’re doing is translating – even here. God you are SO GOOD! As we feasted on our meal of chapati, chicken, and potatoes, the fellowship was awesome. It was so good to be surrounded by these people again. We laughed and smiled for a long time – then it was back to poverty…one more night. I can’t believe that this Challenge is over…but I guess it’s not really over. I am taking so much back with me into my ‘real life’ that I could have never imagined. This week has challenged me. Poverty has changed me. I am forever changed. Praise be to God!!

Day 7 Complete

No comments:

Post a Comment